2009/11/1 Pierre Abbat <p...@phma.optus.nu>:
> On Saturday 31 October 2009 19:20:20 Ryan Leach wrote:
>> .i do jmive .i do morsi                                      you live,
>> and you die
>
> "morsi" actually means "to be dead", not "to die", which is "mrobi'o" (usual)
> or "co'amro" (as opposed to "co'umro", la .iecu,ax gasnu lenu la ly,zar.
> co'umro).

Some languages don't have adjectives, and i wonder how would speakers
of those languages interpret "morsi" in contrast to "mrobi'o".

I'm of the opinion that words like "badri" can be considered as either
an adjective or a verb, respectively corresponding to e.g. the
Japanese "kanashi-i" and "kanashi-mu", to the English "(to be) sad"
and "(to) lament", to the Esperanto "(esti) trista" and "tristi", and
so on (Japanese adjectives does not require a copula like English and
Esperanto do, so they can be truly verb-less predicates). Some time
ago i suggested "za'i badri" and "zu'o badri" as a pseudo adjective
and a pseudo verb that could be used to specify those nat-lang-ish
senses of this otherwise hermaphrodite jbo-predicate (along which i
suggested also that NU be able to take words like "mi" as its x1,
ready for expressions like "mi zu'o badri").

In the same vein, i doubt the perceived necessity for "morsi" to be
restricted to mean the adjectival "to be dead". In fact, the Chinese
"死 (si)" (from which a part of "morsi" comes) does not distinguish
between "to be dead" and "to die" (and i believe it's the same in
other languages like the South American Guarani,).

>> .i lo virnu cu se jmive do                                   bravery
>> is the standard by which you live
>> .i lo virnu cu seljmive do                                   bravery
>> is the standard by which you live (2)
>
> I think the "standard of living" in x2 of "jmive" is like "brain"
> in "brain-dead".

Would you need "tu'a" before "lo besna"?

mu'o mi'e tijlan