* Paul Mison ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> /me does the Mac equivalent of Dean...
>
> Mac OS X Public Beta doesn't ship with development tools either
> (although it does have Perl 5.6). Sure, you can download them for free
> from Apple, but you have to register (sigh) and it's 65MB (which is
> fine for us in 2MB leased line land, but for John 56k it's a bit of a
> pisser).
>
> Maybe ActiveState should make PPMs work with OS X...

if i was someone like redhat or activestate (in conjuction with redhat
who have an already established distribution structure), i'd produce
CD's for each platform (Mac,Win98,Win2K) that with one install executable
would install a complete development environment based on GNU tools

in fact even ORA could do this, they could bundle it with a book for
each platform

i seem to remember some publisher marketting a book for Macs that was
called something like ``the book that should of came with your mac'',
i think this marketting style would work well with the CD's described
above, something like - the development kit that should of come with
your OS

Greg

--
Greg McCarroll                          http://www.mccarroll.uklinux.net