-----Original Message-----
From: Greg McCarroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>if I was someone like redhat or activestate (in conjuction with
redhat
>who have an already established distribution structure), i'd produce
>CD's for each platform (Mac,Win98,Win2K) that with one install
executable
>would install a complete development environment based on GNU tools

It used to be possible to download the whole of the ported Cygnus
stuff (Bash, text utils binutils and stuff like that) in a single exe
file and run it with a couple of clicks until Redhat bought them out,
now its more bother than its worth, you have to download each zipped
file and manually install it into the bash shell. Which is another
separate download.

>in fact even ORA could do this, they could bundle it with a book for
>each platform

Or on a  CD bookshelf, that way they could leverage their back
catalogue of stuff like Managing make/imake and bung those on it for
added value. I'd buy a copy just for the convenience of not having to
hunt around for the stuff myself. But with a special discount version
for PMer's :)

>above, something like - the development kit that should of come with
>your OS

I have one of these kit's, its called VMware and Linux lives in it on
my NT box :) And yes I know it should be the other way around but I
got bored of needing Linux when I was in NT.

    Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon