> > a) a two reasons why this module should never have been written, and
>
> 1. It's redundant, other modules do this already.
> 2. MM DD YY is an evil date format, and should be abolished in
> favour of DD
> MM YY which is more sensible.

Not to mention the fact that YY in itself is also bad from a medium to
long-term perspective. YYYY, anyone?

And YY(YY) MM DD is arguably an even more sensible date format than DD MM
YY, in cases where you want to be able to efficiently sort data on the date.

DD MM YY leads to 01-01-01 being sorted next to 01-02-01, with 02-01-01
appearing further down the list.

MMDDYY is about as backwards and illogical as you can possibly get[0].

[0] - Although I wouldn't be surprised if the author of this module hasn't
also got an MDYMDY date sort in the pipeline :)