> > Who is planning to store data on penderel that they won't
> > have somewhere
> > else anyway. I don't think we should ever rely on our data
> > being there. I
> > have a local copy of everything that I have on other servers.
>
> So, we need only buy two more of whatever size disk we want in there, and
> backup to disk is a world more fun than backup to tape (unless we feel
like
> spashing out for a tape jukebox).

I like the idea of a backup disk and a procedure that automatically backs up
to it; I guess what I'm unhappy about is giving someone else the
responsibility for all our data and the job of managing tapes, that doesn't
seem fair.
>From a security point of view (are we worried about hiding our data from
each other), the backup disk should only be readable by root. Yes? Or should
all the files retain the owners permissions so that we can restore our data
anytime we fancy without needing the sysadmin to do it. I like this plan.

/Robert