(cc added to london.pm)

Anil Madhavapeddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Quoting Steve Mynott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Sun do seem to have mended their ways a little.  They even ship apache
> > and bash as binary packages on extra CD with Solaris 8 and, most
> > importantly, gcc!
>
> Perl is still mashed up, out of the box :-(  We had to do some patching
> to get CPAN to work, and don't even think of installing a fresh copy, or
> half the admintools (linked against their special copy), fail miserably.
>
> Or have Sun solved this buggette?

I just installed my own totally separate version of Perl 5.6 in
/usr/local, used that and have had no problems to date, although its
best to explicitly state '/usr/local/bin/perl' to prevent confusion
and have that first in your PATH.

I don't think Sun's Perl is actually broken [1] other than being old but
the CPAN stuff is setup to use Sun's Workshop CC rather than GCC and
you have to hack /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Config.pm if you want
to use CPAN.

There was a similar problem with some of the compiler options in a
system file for either imake or xmkmf which you have to fix to get
xsnow to run (this was last month when I was feeling all seasonal).

Sun recommend leaving their version of perl installed because it is
used by kstat(1) and I suspect installs are likely to start using it.

BTW does any know why Sun refer to cpu0 and cpu2 and not 0 and 1?  Is
it a marketing thing so the number 2 appears as an obvious second
processor or is there a real reason?

[1] Although it's a pity they haven't put any POD docs in the
Sun::Solaris stuff

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.  -- h. l. mencken