On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:17:21AM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:

> Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>
> > How in gods name do Sun get away with charging so much for stuff?
>
> It is good kit
>
> But it's also a marketing thing .... I know tow clients whom purchased
> 15k of sun kit each, and in either case a good Linux / Free|OpenBSD box
> would have done the same.
>
> The only time I recommend sun is when you need a bigger box than a twin
> Pentium machine - and even then I mentions Alpha's (as I think they as
> just as good a Sun's for the_just_above_intel market).

I recommend Sun when the customer needs enterprise-level support (I just
ain't convinced by Dell/Compaq/HP's offerings) and when they need to run
Oracle.  I'm not ready to recommend Oracle on Linux yet.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

   Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced