On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, you wrote:

> BTW - I've just had some fun trying to uncompress a .zip file on Linux!  tar
> gzip and gunzip don't seem to want to know. Guess that makes me a luser!

you need the  unzip(1)

NAME        unzip  -  list, test and extract compressed files in a ZI
                 archive

DESCRIPTION        unzip  will  list,  test,  or  extract  files  from  a ZIP
archive, commonly found on MS-DOS  systems.The  default
behavior  (with no options) is to extract into the current
directory (and subdirectories below it) all files from the
specified ZIP archive.  A companion program, zip(1), creates
ZIP  archives;  both  programs  are  compatible  with archives
created by PKWARE's PKZIP and PKUNZIP for MS-DOS, but in many
cases the program options or default behaviors differ.

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!