This is the twelth of hopefully many weekly summaries of the London
Perl Mongers mailing list. For the week starting 2001-04-09:

Don't forget the London.pm website for meetings etc. The next meeting
is a technical meeting and is on Thursday April 19th at State 51:
http://london.pm.org/

Neil Ford obviously gets too much mail as he asked about scripts to
help with breaking up mailbox files. Jonathan Stowe mentioned Graham
Barr's mailtools, and Simon Cozens plugged his excellent Mail::Audit:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04055.html
http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=MailTools
http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Mail-Audit

Andy Williams confused us all with traceroute, until we read the
manpage that is. Dominic Mitchell recommended "TCP/IP Illustrated,
Volume 1: The Protocols", which is excellent indeed:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04094.html
http://www.kohala.com/start/tcpipiv1.html

Amongst a HTML- and uuencoded-email fest, Dominic Mitchell and Merijn
Broeren gave mutt and mailcap tips for viewing HTML emails:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg03987.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04140.html
http://www.mutt.org/

The social meeting last week was a lot of fun, if a little
crazy. However, we really need to start organising the meetings (hey,
even Lonix is more organised!), as it was too loud and crowded:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04134.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04145.html

Robert Shields asked about copyright and licenses for his Perl code,
which launched into the typical "GPL evil", "BSD good", "but GPL gives
back" , "write your own license", "GPL is unenforcable"
thread. Generally Perl code is distributed under the sames terms as
Perl itself, that is dual GPL and AL:
http://www.opensource.org/
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
http://language.perl.com/misc/Artistic.html

Aaron Trevena announced a piece of Perl which creates UML class
diagrams showing relationshiops, methods, attributes, etc for a bunch
of scripts/modules so that you can edit them with dia:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04227.html
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/dia.shtml

Dean Wilson asked about Perl on HPUX and the error: 'syntax error in
file p2.pl at line 2, next 2 tokens "use strict"'. This is a clear
case of Perl 4 being installed when you expected Perl 5. There's been
some talk on how Perl 6 might avoid this mess:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04231.html

Dave Cantrell announced that he had uploaded Tie::Scalar::Decay to
CPAN, which simulates radioactive decay with a fairly arbitrary
half-life of five seconds. Anyone want some PDP-11s?
http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Tie-Scalar-Decay
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04250.html
http://www.telnet.hu/hamster/pdp-11/

And finally, Simon Cozens reckons Italy is very far for antipasti,
Paul Makepeace finds truth in Duke Nukem, and Jonathan Stowe brings
some poetry to the list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04131.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04171.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04033.html

Note that you can now subscribe just to this summary, if you don't
want the hassle of tons of london-list mail but still want to keep up: