Andrew Bowman wrote:
> I didn't put the MS nmake in the perl\bin dir (this doesn't
> strike me as significant). When I ran it it chuntered away
> happily on the Tk makefile for a while, and then stopped,
> looking for a program called 'cl' - presumably a c linker.

It's Microsoft's "compiler and linker driver" (or some such) -- the front
end to the preprocessor, compiler, and linker processes (and who knows what
else; maybe an intermediate optimizer or two?). Basically, it's the
equivalent of 'cc' or 'gcc' which will also call cc0, cc1, and ld for your
(or whatever the programs are called).

Borland calls its front ends tcc and bcc; Microsoft calls its cl. I believe
it's been cl.exe since the beginning, regardless of whether it was called
Microsoft C or Visual C++.

> There are 25 xs files in the Tk distribution, so I guess
> this is where that approach went wrong.

Er yes, XS files do tend to require a C compiler of some description to be
useful :)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.