On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:33:36PM +0100, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> well .. it *does* handle them .. but ,,, errr .. sort of non cascading
> IYSWIM ...

No it doesn't. It has almost no clue about stylesheets at all. Have you
ever developed a CSS site for Netscape? And got it to work in anything
like a sensible timeframe?

> I don't care tuppence about 75mb of disc space .. its the 'half of all
> your available memory and most of your processor' that does my head in.

You're right, that rampant hyperbole is really convincing me :-)
None of my IE sessions are consuming more than a 1% of CPU. When they do
use CPU it's hardly for long.

Why are people complaining about RAM & CPU? It is *sooo* cheap and will
get cheaper & faster yet.

> We are talking about displaying a few words and pictures on a screen not

Right, and compilers are just turn .c files into something you can
run. How hard can that be?

> bloated. Opera proves that. I do not require my web browser to do any of
> the following: run active-X,  Flash, any form of streaming video. it

It doesn't, that's what plugins are for. It just do happens
that millions of people like to watch Flash & movies so they come
pre-bundled. I mean, why draw the line there? Toss out images and other
ghastly things like ability to work with handicapped people, etc, etc.

> should never, ever attempt to download anything on its own, install
> anything or upgrade anything. ever. at all. ever. When I hit the stop
> button it is because i want it to stop. dead. now. I do not want it to
> continue what its doing because it thinks it knows best. it must stop

Hmm, IE does stop almost immediately. THe Mac version in OS X requires
a couple of presses but it's pretty well behaved otherwise (when it's
not crashing or preventing me from copying the address line to the
clipboard, bah). I've actually had more trouble getting Netscape to
stop, YMMV, etc.

> of a browser luddite im afraid.

http://lynx.browser.org/

Paul