Robin Szemeti wrote:

> again, its a while ago I looked at this stuff .. wasn;t there supposed to
> be a ssl-a-like that was going to be a standard and in the next
> generation of phone ??

Yes, called WTLS which is a crippled version of TLS which is in turn a
kind of weakened SSL.

I spent nearly three weeks in Toronto working on it during February
having been pimped out to a company called Certicom who, AFAIK, worked
on the reference version with RSA.

It's another peice of WapForum blundering combining ambiguity with
over-engineering. Why they felt the need to include stuff like Eliptic
Curve Diffie Hellman I'll never no ... it'll never get implemented by
anybody anyway.

This is quite a good overview on WTLS and has enough detail about the
overall WAP architecture to be understandable.
http://www.hut.fi/~jtlaine2/wtls/

However since very few people have implemented it I did wrote the client
side hashing algorithms in the hope that soembody would use them and
also because I wanted to learn WMLscript (I'd just finsihed a compiler
for it, I felt I ought to know the language).

WAP - it's a standard, it's a protocol, it's a stack, it's a markup
language, it's a scripting language, it's an overhyped marketing
buzzword, it's .. it's ... it's ... CRAP!

Bitter? Moi? Nah.

On the other hand I'm thinking of writing a WAP stack in Perl just for
shits and giggles. Or maybe an XS wrapper round a C library.

push @things_to_do, $yet_another_stupid_idea;

--
simon wistow            wireless systems coder
    just another shin jin rui