* at 06/07 10:57 +0100 Lee Goddard said:
> [...]

<chuckles/>

i have no idea where you got the idea that i was knowledgable on the
functionality. i've used it so have some idea of what i see as the
limitations but i don't think that makes me in any way qualified to try
and extend it.

> > the other flaw is that apache has an api for adding modules into the
> > core (or as near as) while in your example the extensions happen in
> > your applications space an not in mysql's which inevitably results in
> > it all running slower than if it was inside the database which
> > can/could do all sorts of clever optimisation things.
>
> I didn't know that: seems much less thought out than Aapche, but then
> they're a commerical organisation, so I guess don't get out as much
> as the Apache crew, and so don't get to learn as much.

i prob should clarify here in that this is AFAIK rather than gospel.
just that i've never seen anything about an api for the core so i
assume there isn't one in the sense that apache has one. the fact that
i've not noticed any third party modules out there seems to support
this[1].

> > that said if you just want to use it for a simple website or something
> > then it is the boy.
>
> The boy...?  I'll not pursue that line of metaphor, I think.

cf lobey's the wee boy: http://netsavvy.co.uk/lobey/ which is glasgow
humour at it's finest.

struan

[1] which is where someone usually say 'actually...'