On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 03:12:51PM +0100, Mark Fowler wrote:
> Grep waffled:

People always waffle, never pancake.  How odd.

> >     It increases my estimation of the mean time to failure
> >     of the system which the line resides in.
>
> That's a highly radical standpoint.  I'd think the person would be more
> inclined to agree with a decreased mean time to failure with people
> writing semi-obfuscated code.
>
> Perl gives you the freedom to express yourself how you want, though with
> freedom comes the need for eternal vigilance.  Especially against nutters
> typing unreadable code.

Oh blimey.  The nutters typeing unreadable code are unfortunately most
perl programmers out there.  Never forget what an elite clique you live
in by enjoying writing code and partaking in code with others (this user
group, f'rinstance).  Whilst we all like to condone unreadable code,
this doesn't change the fact that it's like trying to sit there and
command the sea to stop rising up the beach, when faced with the number
of programmers out there.  See: Matts Scripts.  And countless other
unnameable horrors that lurk unreleased on hard disks everywhere.

You *can* write nice perl, most of us do.  But we're the exception.  And
it's not as easy to write nice code in perl as it is in other languages,
despite what your perl addled brains think.

Damn, sorry, did all that just slip out?  Ooops.

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |