Not that I've actually read *all* of them, but there are two books that
have rather good reputations (and what I have read of them don't seem to
undermine that) which didn't get mentioned.

SICP (the "wizard" book)
Deep C Secrets (the "fish" (or "really bad pun" :-) book)

Given the scads of books that cropped up, I was surprised these didn't
make it.  Any particular reason I should dump them in the trash[1], or did
they just get lost in the shuffle?

[1] Like I would get rid of a book... riiiight.[2]

[2] actually, footnotes are a pain in the sphincter, as you need to
remember to actuall put them in.

dha
--
David H. Adler - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
And if you are a real looney, you would read the manpage.