I have had several students who never seemed to get excited about
*anything* become almost hysterical on exposure to bubble sorting.

I think it must conform to some notion about what programming should be
like.

For the record, the others which have elicited such responses have been a
generic XML parser which rebuilds any XML document as indented (i.e.
'unordered list') html (ho hum)  and (more exciting) secret sharing
algorithms for use in distributed data systems.

Patrick Carmichael