Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> "Newton, Philip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Ranks in the Perl arcana along with ignoring lines beginning
> > with dot and some letters -- known mostly to those who have
> > grovelled in the sources.)
>
> Ugh - perl compatibility with troff source?

Precisely.

Little-known fact: Perl 1 did not have POD, so embedded docs were done in
*roff. Hence, the lexer was made to look out for (and ignore) some *roff
escapes/commands/whatever, sort of like it now does for =cut &c. at the
beginning of a line.

(That's assuming I remember my facts correctly.)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.