Friday, November 09, 2001, 12:41:42 PM, robin szemeti wrote:

>> Our supply chains are, in the majority, run by cars and trucks and other
>> road transport and without them the cities start to starve (both
>> metaphorically and literally.)

rs> indeed. theres another thing that needs changing then.

That will be an interesting trick.  Many kinds of business only work
well (or work more efficiently) in high population densities.  Farming
is not one of those things.

Trains are great for hauling stuff from point A to point B, but they
really suck at negotiating all of those twisty little streets in the
city.

Trucks are the most efficient way of getting stuff into the shops.  At
least until they bring back and expand the old pneumatic tube system.
Which would be a lot more fun to watch.

--
mike