On 10/11/01 13:16 +0000, Richard Clamp wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:28:07AM +0000, robin szemeti wrote:
> > the best bet is to buy it at a local market [ should you find one ] or
> > smaller shop.
>
> I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but if you really think market sellers
> are using a completely different supply chain than supermarkets and
> their refrigerated for a year fruit then you're wrong.

This is certainly true of London markets, as much as anything
because they're so damned far from anywhere where food is actually
produced.

Deep, deep beyond the fringes of civilsation, though (Somerset, for
example, or south Kent) you can find markets where fresh produce
sold straight from farms is available, since farmers often find that
the rewards of selling direct in this way are better than selling
half an orchards' worth of apples to Sainsbury's for a tenner in
order to support their price-wars and marketing budgets giving cash
direct to Jamie Oliver.

Of course, the local markets will still sell long-refrigerated
Granny Smiths in March, but /shurg/