On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 12:37:31PM +0000, Roger Horne said:
> A more difficult one to counter may be that, this being a fee-paying school,
> the parents are going to be well-off and a high proportion of them are
> likely to have Windows machines at home and will wonder why their little
> darlings don't use the same at school.

That's easy. They *have* Windows machines at home. They *know* how to use
those. They're unlikely to be learning how to do guts and internals and
networking so, superficially, they'll be the same if you install
$window_manager with a Window's-a-like scheme.

Everything else (word processing, powerpoint, excel, programming) it doesn't
matter whether they're on windows or *nix and in most cases it's better for
them to be on *nix.

Other points :

Mr Cantrell, I believe, has a system whereby he has installed a *nix box at
his parents' place. I am thinking of doing the same for the reasons that :

o it's free software
o it runs on cheaper hardware
o I can stop them messing with things that they don't wanna
o I can get it mail me with logs or wot not when stuff goes wrong
o I can set up PPP so that if anything b0rks I can dialup, poke around and fix
it

in a school this would be even better (especially price of software plus
hardware) and because cos kiddies are notorious fiddlers *cough*

plus

o you wouldn't need to dialup because they'd be on the network
o you can have all config files in CVS somewhere so all machines can look the
same and can be easily reinstalled
o homedirectorys and /usr/local/bin and stuff NFS mounted for EaZee BackUp
Goodness [tm] and true hot desking.

Good people to talk to this about would be Uni computer departments. Imperial
used to do this a lot - http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk. I think Mike Wyers (linux
admin there) still lurks on this list.

Simon

--