On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Simon Wistow wrote:

> THERE'S SO MUCH FRICKIN' OVERHEAD JUST TO GET IT TO WORK.

Yes! I spent the last week trying to get Tomcat to work, and it was
nothing but an exercise in pain & frustration. Each element had a series
of dependencies that had to be met, possibly including an upgrade to
Solaris itself (we think -- we never did manage to get it all working
under 2.6, and suspect that upgrading to 2.8 might have helped).

After days & days of this, including decoding enigmatic quote-unquote
install documentation & searching through Apache & Sun's sites hoping for
help (there was none -- just lots of talk about getting servlets to work
once it's up & running, but very little about getting the servlet engine
working in the first place) we seemed to have all the dependancies met,
but even then it wouldn't build. It would launch, then throw cascading
exceptions & we'get get, oh, 200k lines of debug output.

And people say setting up mod_perl is a pain in the butt. Hah!

--
Chris Devers

"People with machines that think, will in times of crisis,
make up stuff and attribute it to me" - "Nikla-nostra-debo"