Barbie> When I first came across Perl in 1998 I was told a story that
Barbie> Larry thought C++ should have been called P, following on from
Barbie> BCPL, which then became B, which transformed into C. Having
Barbie> missed a letter, Larry decided to use the remaining two
Barbie> letters for his language. How true all that is I have no idea,
Barbie> may be Damian, Nat or Randal can ask larry next time they see
Barbie> him :)

That's from the Apocryphal edition of the Perl Bible.  Some believe
and swear by it.  Others trust only the canonical version.

:-)