On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 02:19:28PM +0000, Sam Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Ivor Williams wrote:
> > Just curious, what does perl actually stand for, or is it not an acronym?
>
> `man perl` says
>
> PERL(1)        User Contributed Perl Documentation        PERL(1)
>
> NAME
>        perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language

and at the bottom of that man page:

       Perl actually stands for Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish
       Lister, but don't tell anyone I said that.

NOTES
       The Perl motto is "There's more than one way to do it."
       Divining how many more is left as an exercise to the
       reader.

       The three principal virtues of a programmer are Laziness,
       Impatience, and Hubris.  See the Camel Book for why.

perl v5.7.2                 2001-12-06                    PERL(1)

Nicholas Clark