On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:52:26PM -0500, anathema said:
> This is the point I traditionally point out that "destruction" is not what
> these things are judged by.  A script that would trawl the net and FIX nimda
> would still be regarded as hacking, and I'm sure I don't have to explain why,
> right?

I wrote a .vbs script a few years ago that would infect wod documenst
and mail itself to people in outlook address books, I think it was
mostly based on Melissa of the ILoveYou virus or something.

Meanwhile, in the background it would

a) turn on security in office
b) crank up security in outlook and IE
c) turn off HTML mail and set jeopardy quoting off as well

I never released it because I couldn't find a decent vector that
wouldn't get me sprung in jail. It was originally written as a tool to
lock down security at the company I was at but I was too worried that
it'd escape and cause hassle and gried (especially since, because it was
meant to be a tool for the company, it mailed me and the person and
informed them what happened). [0]

Didn't a load of CCC dudes get busted for hacking into Vaxen and
patching them? Could have been the infamous Vax Busters but I may be
mixing my haXX0r legends.

Simon

[0] Since then I realised I should have made up 20 or so CDs with
various tit bits and word documents infected with it and left them on
buses and tubes (especially on the Northern Line) labelled "Britney
Spears Porn" or something.

:)