Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Does a CGI always run with a socket as STDOUT?
> (in that running with a CGI-faked ENV as part of a pipe in a
> cron job is going to look awfuly like being run from a web
> server)
>
> Or will there be servers that run the CGI with the output to
> a pipe and in turn pump that to the client?

I doubt the specification makes any mention of this.

FYI, the Xitami web server (at least on Win32 systems) doesn't output any of
the CGI's output to the client until the CGI is done, so perhaps it
implements CGI with STDOUT directed to a file, which it then reads -- in
which case you couldn't even rely on dev & ino fields of stat(STDIN).

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.