Ivor Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Chris Devers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
>
> > ...a job, actually. I just accepted a contract as a Python coder! :)
>
> Does Python have any advantages over Perl?

There aren't too many basic differences, although the languages /look/
very different.  But they both are very dynamic and have similiar
basic data types and object systems (although Python 2.2's object
system just got an overhaul).

Python tends to come with builtin modules to do things like say, imap
access, whereas with Perl you go to CPAN and download just the modules
you need.

<holy-war>
Python also forces you to indent consistently, which some people seem
to think is a bug, not a feature.  :-)
</holy-war>

For most people, the answer is try both (and possibly ruby as well)
and see which one you're most comfortable with.

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |