Jonathan> Hmmm, so Gosling re-wrote emacs in C, ported it to Unix, and then
Jonathan> watched while Stallman removed all his code for copyright reasons. lol.

Jonathan> Still, claiming to have done "the original Unix Emacs editor"
Jonathan> (http://java.sun.com/people/jag/) is a little misleading maybe...

Not particularly.  My first exposure to emacs on Unix was "gosling
emacs".  I hadn't heard of the RMS Emacs (which ran only on Tenex, or
something, if I recall) until much later, when the GNU project started
surfacing.  If gosling claims to have introduced emacs to Unix, I'd
believe that from personal experience.