Dave Cross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> ... But not only is Perl perceived as being "that web
> language", it's perceived as being "that out of date web language".

So. What are we going to do about it apart from slagging off Matt wright?

Picking up on some points from Dave's talk last night, I have a few
suggestions:

1. When educating colleagues, pick on the sysadmins. They are a good
receptive audience for the perl quality argument, especially as it is their
machines that potentially get cracked. Are there any good Perl books in this
line?

2. Can we improve on perl's innate ability to detect bad code (use strict;
taint, perl -w etc.)?

3. How about an exam with a qualification. The Perl Community could define
its own without relying on vendors with alterior motives.

Ivor.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and solely
for the intended addressee(s). Unauthorised reproduction, disclosure,
modification, and/or distribution of this email may be unlawful. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete it from your system. The views expressed in this message
do not necessarily reflect those of LIFFE (Holdings) Plc or any of its
subsidiary companies.