On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:28:01PM +0000, Chris Carline wrote:
> The structure of the HTML page is also extremely important in how
> searched-for words are weighted in the engine - namely, if search
> terms appear in titles and headers, or in bold, or in a big font, near
> the top of a page, then google is significantly more likely to favour
> your page to a.n. other's - page rank has less of an effect because
> your actual subject-match weighting is better.

Chris, Robin --

Can you provide some info to back up these claims about the operation of
Google? There is a tremendous amount of folklore associated with search
engines and having hard, firm (oo-er) evidence of behaviour is very
useful. Other search engines may use these techniques (which sound crude
and so 1997) but does Google?

The only page I'm aware of that definitively talks about Google's
technology (PageRank) is,

http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is the difference between a bat? You must embrace the chaos."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/