On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, robin szemeti wrote:

> On Friday 01 February 2002 15:20, Chris Devers wrote:
>
> > /Applications/Internet\ Explorer.app/Contents/Frameworks/MS\ XML\
> > Library.cfm/Contents/Resources/Swedish.lproj/Localized.rsrc
> >
> > ...with spaces all over the place, and not just the partition name.
>
> surely the obvious way to resolve this and improve system security in several
> other ways is simply to delete the "Internet\ Explorer" sub-directory ?

Uhh, maybe. But consider:

    % ls -1 /Applications | grep ' '
    Address Book.app
    Image Capture.app
    Internet Connect.app
    Internet Explorer.app
    QuickTime Player.app
    System Preferences.app
    %
    % ls -1 / | grep ' '
    AppleShare PDS
    Applications (Mac OS 9)
    Cleanup At Startup
    Desktop DB
    Desktop DF
    Desktop Folder
    Shutdown Check
    System Folder
    Temporary Items
    %
    % ls -1 ~/Library/ | grep ' '
    Application Support
    FruitMenu Items
    Internet Plug-Ins
    Internet Search Sites
    Screen Savers
    %

I could do without IE, and maybe Quicktime and a couple of the others. But
I'm not getting rid of System Preferences, and I'm not going to trash my
system's nor my account's preference folders, thankyouverymuch. And that's
mostly default stuff, nevermind third party stuff of your own (the main
third party thing from that list is FruitMenu, which I didn't like and
keep meaning to delete -- the other things have to stay).

This was not meant to be a lesson in how evil MSIE is. It was a lesson in
the fact that filename spaces are here to stay, and any scripts you write
and use need to be able to handle them robustly.

--
Chris Devers

"Okay, Gene... so, -1 x -1 should equal what?" "A South American!"
[....] "no human can understand the Timecube" and Gene responded
 without missing a beat "Yeah.  I'm not human."