On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 02:57:37PM +0000, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> * Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, just checked it out.
> >
> > "File must be in Microsoft Word format"
> >
> > Morons!
>
> IHMO ...
>
> The real issue here isn't MS Word vs. PDF/HTML/DVI/ASCII , its the
> point that a recruiter wants to edit your CV before sending it to
> clients, otherwise we could all use lovely PDF, mmmmmm PDF (err excuse
> me).
>
> Now I can understand the business need to hide address/email/etc.[1]
> or else they would have to sign you up to some contract - but how do
> you feel about them touching it up (your CV that is ;-)) to aid your
> cause? ;-) Is this good or bad, I don't know how I feel.

It doesn't aid your cause.
I had mine nicely formatted and fitting on 4 pages.
Not only did they deformat it, but they also carefully removed the lines I'd
made indicating which jobs were permenant, which was contract, and which
permanent jobs had gone bust on me. This made me look like a job hopper.

> I'm not sure that I care, oh well back to the slides.

I do. And it was really fucking annoying to find that they'd done this.
But I'm not sure what to do about it.

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:21:34PM -0000, Robert Shiels wrote:
> From: "Randal L. Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > Dave> "File must be in Microsoft Word format"
> >
> > Send them a plain text file and say "Microsoft Word has no problems
> > reading this".
> >

> Yes - simply rename the file to cv.doc, and he'll never know it isn't just a
> plain ASCII text file.
>
> On the point about whether we like them amending the CV, well, this is a
> given, not worth worrying about.

I realise that currently it is. *Why* do they do it?
The only valid reason I could see was that they wished to place their
company logo on the top of the CV, so that if it gets copied or passed around
it becomes obvious who provided it.

But some of the morons have been deformatting it without doing this.

Nicholas Clark
--
EMCFT http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/CV.html