On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:32:12PM +0000, Lucy McWilliam wrote:
> Okay, can people recommend some good hard scientific skiffy, e.g. along the
> lines of Carl Sagan, Neal Stephenson, Michael Crichton and Paul McAuley?
> And don't say Greg Bear, because he always disappoints me.

Hmmm, haven't heard of any of the above (and $bookshop just made a few
quid).  Obviously I should keep quiet, but nobody mentioned Larry
Niven - Ringworld is a fine example.

Altogether different in every way, a bizzarre but compulsive
collection of short stories I recently re-discovered in the attic is
"The 57th Franz Kafka" by Rudy Rucker[1].  I don't believe anyone
would be dissappopinted if they bought this book[2].

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0441235166/qid%3D1013996089/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/102-2971900-2455367

[2] please bear in mind that I have no reputation to stake...