On Wednesday, March 06, 2002 @ 4:28 PM, "Jonathan Peterson" did scribble:

| There was me expecting the net to be flooded with freeware web site load
| testers that just GET a bunch or URLs and draw a graph of times taken.
| Apparently I was wrong. I have discovered an impressive number of
| unuseably bad Java applications and some very simple command line things
| that mostly aren't even multi-threaded or forking.
|
| Am I missing something obvious or am I about to write my own? I only
| want basic stuff like handling cookies, POST requests, and simulating
| concurrent access by different user agents. Throttling (to simulate
| modem users) would be an added bonus.
|
| I've nothing against paying for a commercial app but I didn't find any
| promising looking ones of those, either.
|
| Ho Hum. More LWP....

Well, I will probably be beaten to a pulp for this but who cares :)

I have been doing some load/stress testing against an IIS box over the past
couple of days using Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool
(http://homer.rte.microsoft.com).

OK, you will need a windows box to run the tests from, but I don't see it
being limited to testing IIS boxes (they mention problems with ColdFusion
servers so it doesn't look like it).  You can specify scripts manually or do
a "record" which opens a browser in which you go about using the site and it
records what you are doing, what cookies are being set, POST data etc. Can
be configured for multiple user simulation, bandwidth throttle, random
delaying between requests, multiple threads on one machine and can also get
other machines to do the requests at the same time.

It has certainly helped find some bottlenecks in scripts since I started to
use it.

Steve