--On Wednesday 20 March 2002 17:31 +0000 Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
>
> Bollocks alert! Bollocks alert!
> The above statement cannot be true.
> "all known viruses" would be truthful.
> "all viruses" is not.

Unfortunately Star attach this comment to all our email, and I cannot as yet
edit it.

In their defence, their scanning is heuristic as well as signature-based, so
they can claim to be scanning for unknown as well as known viruses; and they
are confident enough to offer a guarantee: if a single virus, known or
unknown, gets through their screen we get a refund.

It has certainly caught everything that's been thrown at it here (about 1 in
650 of our incoming messages is infected).

Jonathan
--
Jonathan McKeown, System Administrator. The College of Optometrists,
42 Craven Street London WC2N 5NG. Tel: +20 7839 6000 Fax: +20 7839 6800

http://www.star.net.uk