On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 05:51:25PM +0000, Alex Gough wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
> > And in another time, Some Software wrote:
> > > ________________________________________________________________________
> > > This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
> >
> > Bollocks alert! Bollocks alert!
> > The above statement cannot be true.
> > "all known viruses" would be truthful.
> > "all viruses" is not.
>
> It didn't claim it would find them all, merely scan for them.
>
> I wonder if email can get smallpox... The NHS would throw a fit.

I concede defeat. I have been correctly out-pedanted.

As observed, whilst my bullshit detector has correctly picked out this
statement, it did so for the wrong reason. I concede the statement can be
true. (for "viruses" meaning computer "viruses"). I see now that it's also
a very crafty statement that says one thing while appearing to say another.
(The implication that the scan makes any sort of report.)

I will have to be more paranoid in future. :-)

Nicholas Clark
--
Even better than the real thing:        http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/