On 03/04/2002 at 16:24 +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

>Huh?  He said it was impractical to turn off the analogue transmitters
>because ITV Digital went bust, the implication being that without ITVD
>there would be no digital terrestrial TV so they wouldn't be able to
>turn off analogue broadcasts.  It is a common misconception that digital
>terrestrial TV is ITV Digital but it ain't and therefore the dissapearance
>of ITV Digital will have fuck-all effect on digital terrestrial TV other
>than changing the channel line-up.

You know as well as I do that up until all of two weeks ago ITV Digital
was the only way to recieve digital terrestrial, and that the threat to
digital is not so much the fact ITV is in recievership- they're in that
state as no bugger uses them- but that digital takeup is still very
slow and dominated by Sky, which charges a small fortune.

Maybe the new Pace box will make a difference, but if it doesn't then
how can you justify forcing people to move to a new technology with
very little appreciable benefit and some distinct problems (I can't
think of a single digital provider that's happy for you to watch their
output on more than one TV without paying for additional rental or kit).

--
:: paul
:: ninja hamsters available now!