On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:42:18PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
> On 03/04/2002 at 16:24 +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
>
> >Huh?  He said it was impractical to turn off the analogue transmitters
> >because ITV Digital went bust, the implication being that without ITVD
> >there would be no digital terrestrial TV so they wouldn't be able to
> >turn off analogue broadcasts.  It is a common misconception that digital
> >terrestrial TV is ITV Digital but it ain't and therefore the dissapearance
> >of ITV Digital will have fuck-all effect on digital terrestrial TV other
> >than changing the channel line-up.
>
> You know as well as I do that up until all of two weeks ago ITV Digital
> was the only way to recieve digital terrestrial

No, that is not the case.

ITV Digital are the only people selling DTTV decoders as a loss leader.
No-one else is aggressively advertising decoders.  But then, stand-alone
decoders have only just gone on the market.  You've been able to buy a
TV with built-in decoder for some time now though.

You can buy or rent a decoder - or a TV with one built in - without
going anywhere near ITVD.  You will be able to get all the free-to-air
channels.  More information at:
  http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/q_a.shtml#18

</bbcpropaganda>

> digital is not so much the fact ITV is in recievership- they're in that
> state as no bugger uses them- but that digital takeup is still very
> slow and dominated by Sky, which charges a small fortune.

I don't know what the figures are, but Sky no longer do analogue at all,
and NTL and Telepest are only selling new packages as digital.

> Maybe the new Pace box will make a difference, but if it doesn't then
> how can you justify forcing people to move to a new technology with
> very little appreciable benefit and some distinct problems (I can't
> think of a single digital provider that's happy for you to watch their
> output on more than one TV without paying for additional rental or kit).

It has several benefits, not least appearing to be shiny.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  "Dave, being Evil is no excuse for indenting like a moonshine-crazed lemur"
        -- Aaron Trevena