On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 06:43:07PM +0100, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
> Roger Burton West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:57:17PM +0100, Jonathan Peterson wrote:
> > >In fact, I don't see how it would help spammers, although I can see how
> > >it is/was used by pranksters, but that's different.
> >
> > If you operate a mailing list which does not require confirmation of
> > subscription, you are deemed to be a spammer by at least some black-hole
> > services. It's a much easier and more objective test than many of the
> > others.
>
> Not an answer to the question. How does it help _spammers_?

It holds everybody to the same level of responsibility that we insist
on from marketers.  Spammers will always say "but you asked for
information on penis mortgage weight loss bread." Insisting that
everybody use confirmed opt in pretty much does away with that excuse.

--
mike
A whole loota hoot and just a little bit of nanny