On Wed, 15 May 2002, Jonathan Peterson wrote:
> Simon Wilcox wrote:

> > On the other hand, you could always write a local COM gateway on the
> > windows box and convert the message to SOAP or somesuch. YMMV.
>
> I've been playing in a very small way with SOAP and I'm sure I read
> something in passing saying that all (most? some?) DCOM calls could be
> readily SOAPified, so in theory this would be possible. MS is pretty
> SOAP friendly anyway, so it may be your best bet for interoperability.

There is a thingy called er, hang on while I go back through the SOAP list
to find out, something with a '4' in it anyway that can directly expose
COM objects via SOAP - I think the most windows programming you will have
to do is perhaps a little scripting host stuff as a wrapper.  If you want
to write COM objects in Perl then you might be interested in looking at
'Scriptlets' which allow you to create COM objects within the windows
scripting host - they are basically XML documents that define the
interface and have all the code in them, you can use modules and stuff in
Perl so you can keep most of your logic out of the scriptlet file itself -
there is an ancient TPJ article on the subject.  As a completely different
solution there is a COM <-> CORBA bridge from IBMs AlphaWorks which could
be pressed into service, I think it is written in Java but hey you could
always use Inline::Java :)

I think my talk at Y::E is going to be on this sort of interoperability
stuff so I would be interested to find out how it goes.

/J\