This is the *mumble*th summary of the London Perlmongers mailing list,
 for the week beginning 2002-05-13.  It's also my first summary, having
 stupidly^Wbravely wrested the crown from Leon's head.  Let me know if I
 mess it up particularly well.

 There were only 82 messages this week, which leads me on to the first
 meme.  Penderel died again, we all moaned, Alex and Paul Makepeace
 fixed it, we cheered and moaned about things new.  Alex bought shiny
 hardware for a new Penderel, and is looking to recoup some money by
 offering shell accounts on it.

http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020150.html
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020151.html

 A tech meet took place on Thursday, with talks from Dave (Idiomatic
 Perl), Leon (Targetting Parrot) and James (The Magical Data Pixie).

http://use.perl.org/~davorg/journal/4992
http://use.perl.org/~acme/journal/5000

 Many emergency social meets going on; punting in Oxford on Sunday and
 an emergency pubmeet on Tuesday (21st May) to test out the suitability
 of _The Glasshouse Stores_ near Piccadilly Circus for future social
 meets - there'll be people there from 6:30pm.

http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm-announce/2002-May/000003.html
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm-announce/2002-May/000005.html

 Tim Bunce will be a UMIST next month, giving a talk on whatever people
 want to know about the Perl DBI.  Mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] before
 23rd May if you can make it all the way oop North.

http://pm.bi.umist.ac.uk/activities.html

 Greg McCarroll posted regarding triangulating locations of storms by
 having people click a location and enter a rough time between hearing
 thunder and seeing a flash.  A very silly thread ensued, with some
 interesting ideas coming up between the talk of disco balls and shiny
 GPS tekniq and space-readable signs.

http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020087.html
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020097.html

 Rhys Hopkins asked about COM/DCOM with Perl/Linux, and was pointed at
 'something with a '4' in it' that can expose COM objects via SOAP.

http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020076.html
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020127.html

 Leo Lapworth asked about taking credit card payments online, and was
 pointed at Worldpay and Datacash by Steve Keay.  Nick Clark posted a
 warning about transactions and rollbacks.

http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020136.html
http://london.pm.org/pipermail/london.pm/Week-of-Mon-20020513/020143.html

 In other news, Mark Fowler confused all of us with Glade code, Greg
 likes steak, RealNames died and you shouldn't put ISA cards in servers.

 How'd I do, huh?

 - Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris@void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a