On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:07:10AM +0100, Mark Fowler wrote:

> Well, I found the tie that was eating chunks of my memory and removed it.
> Thanks to Tony for pointing this out to me.   All this happened to get me
> thinking though...
>
> What can I do to cause perl to leak memory (I mean, not keeping circular
> data structures lying around, but what constructs causes perl to lose
> memory itself.)

In 5.8, far fewer than used to be the case.  You can look through the
p5p archives to get the details of what's been fixed if you need to
know.  I'm afraid I can't remember many of the details off the top of my
head, except that people were having fun with purify and its kind.

[ Yes, I know this doesn't answer your question. ]

> I was reading the mod_perl list and they reminded me that string eval was
> leaky, is this still the case?

I think it's only leaky if the eval fails, that is if there is a syntax
error.  Otherwise it's only as leaky as the rest of perl :-)

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net