I have put "[META]" in the subject line so people who don't like
meta-discussion have the option of filtering instead of adding to the
problem.

On Tue 28 May 2002, Leon Brocard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Socials and technicals[1] should be announced once on the announce
> list. The announce list is only for important London.pm
> announcements and the official meetings qualify. Reminders shouldn't
> go to the announce list. Dimsum or emergency meets shouldn't go to
> the announce list.

>From a purely personal point of view, I would prefer it if all
announcements (and reminders) went to the announce list.  This is
because while most of my london.pm mail is procmailed into its own
folder, mail originally sent to the announce list goes to my inbox.
If some announcements were sent to the announce list and others to the
main list, then I wouldn't be able to filter them so easily.

I tried to think of other ways around the problem.  The best I could
come up with was agreeing on a header that anyone making an announcement
on the main list would use, and I could filter on that.  Even though
this is the best idea I could manage to come up with, it still isn't a
very good one.  People would forget to do it; I know I would.  Maybe
someone else can think of a better idea, though.

> [...] most people on the announce list will be people who will only
> come to the official meetings. [...]

You can't know without asking them.  And as I explained above, it's
not only the people who are just on the announce list that you need to
consider (there are 20 of them, apparently), but also people who treat
announce differently from the main list.

I don't desperately mind which option gets decided on; I'm sure I will
cope either way.  I just wanted to explain some reasons for wanting to
have all announcements on one list.

Kake