On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 08:44:54AM +0200, Newton, Philip wrote:
> Unfortunately, myfunction() "return;"s if it doesn't know what to do with
> 'input'... with the result that the call is essentially
>
>     check('input', [ qw/out1 out2 out3/ ]);
>
> which isn't really what I wanted. (I think I "solved" that one by putting an
> explicit scalar() around the call, though I could also have added a protoype

Why not just explicitly return undef? It call to a function is expecting
a value, it's only polite to present it with a value.

Or, always return a reference which could of course include [] -- that
wouldn't get squished away.

Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is the answer to the question? An abominable pimple on the face of
 God."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/