> what I think si interesting is not only looking for recurring patterns
> in programming but looking at problems in computing as a whole (inodes,
> makefiles, process schedulers) and applying them on a microcosm or even
> on a microcosm. Or even more interesting - apply your learning to
> another field. Have a look at taxonomies and stuff which Information
> Architects are fond of and see how some of the problems they struggle
> with have been solved by file system engineers and DB wranglers years
> ago. Or look at biologists and how problems they've understood for
> decades, centuries even, we're still bashing our heads against (routing
> protocols is an interesting one).

Hmmm .... this makes me think of Ants and how they build up an Ant hill -
they have a little routing protocol to bring dirt back to the hill.

It amazes me that no single ant has a blue print for what the Ant hill is
going to look like ... But yet somehow they manage to work together to
make a huge hill, with little passageways and storage rooms etc.

Each ant's pattern of work blends in with the rest. Finally, there is a
meta-pattern that emerges as a functioning ant hill.

I often think it would be cool if programming artifacts worked so well in
concert ... although then again some Ant hills are pretty nobbly looking

NIge

--
Nigel Hamilton
Turbo10 Metasearch Engine