On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Paul Johnson wrote:
> For that matter, how much do people who espouse patterns conciously
> use them?  Maybe expert, or even good programmers are not the target
> audience.

I espouse them and use them. The target audience is all programmers, as
one of their aims is to provide a common language. If a junior
programmer knows what a command pattern looks like, a team leader can
hand out a work packet with just enough of a description to get the job
done the right way. The junior programmer doesn't need to know that the
team leader is using command patterns to separate M from C in MVC, just
that he's been asked for a command.

> And how many people have actually read that book all the way through?
> And of those, how many can remember the names of half the patterns?

I did. Some of the patterns are more useful than others, and I remember
the commonly used patterns more easily. However, the book's on my desk,
and I can flick to the inside cover whenever I think there's an
applicable pattern, but I've forgotten its name.

> And anyway, in my day "pattern" was spelt "recipe" :-)

Sort of. Patterns are small ideas. They work well in combination. Many
recipes are larger, and solve whole problems.

--
Nigel Wetters, Senior Programmer, Development Group
Rivals Digital Media Ltd, 151 Freston Road, London W10 6TH