Lusercop wrote:
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:57:40AM +0000, Alex McLintock wrote:

I spotted this article referred to from Ecademy...
Techweb: Defense Contractor Says Open-Source Software Is Good For Military > October 29, 2002
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20021029S0005
The article says that the American Department of Defense quite likes Open Source software - *and* particularly mentions their heavy use of perl.

Yes, all the work that I did on OpenSSL, a lot of the work on TrustedBSD,
and some of the NSA's work on the trusted linux platforms plus some other
things were being sposored by DARPA and other branches of the US Military
Machine.
Just like the original BSD work on TCP/IP stacks[1] all those years ago. It's not a new thing. I'm surprised that it's taken the military that long to realise that it's been using open source since before it was called that. Mind you, large organisation, one hand not knowing what the other's doing...

-Dom

[1] Even though Bill Joy threw out the code he was given and wrote his own. ;-)

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources |
| Tel: +44 (1273) 722222 |