* Billy Abbott ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> it does have built in file versioning and an advanced beard growing plugin
> though...

VMS is wonderful, i first learned to write multiuser applications on
VMS, writing a shared diary facility in Pascal[1][2]. However I seem to
recall the best feature (apart from maybe the file versioning) was the
phone utility[3], which IIRC used the terminal's bell to reproduce
the sound of a ringing phone.

Greg

[1] Before everyone goes ``Eugh Pascal'', i had to write another
multiuser diary a few years later using Motif and ML (a functional
language, i.e. it has no variables/state), after this exercise Pascal
looked like a wonderful language for the task. However sometimes when
I'm running a really high temperature i look back and think that ML is
actually a great language for doing user interfaces and I tell this to
Mr Socko, the sock puppet, who only talks to me when i'm in these
states.

[2] Ok, it didn't need to be multiuser I just got a bit carried.

[3] Equivalent to UNIX's talk command. It was particularly exciting as
this was the first time i used a multiuser computer.

--
Greg McCarroll                         http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/
                                   jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]