On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:11:14AM +0000, Jonathan Peterson wrote:

> I'm rather unimpressed by the complete
> absence of seemless backward compatability, but I suppose change is good.

Errr, I'm not. The 1.3 Apache API is badly geb0rken in a couple of places.
Fixing that, and doing the correct thing instead is far more important
than being backward (compatible)[1], IMO.

> *I still think building a working mod_perl is one of the hardest
> software install / configuration jobs going. apxs2 helps somewhat, but
> it's still insanely hard.

On which platform? It varies significantly between Linux, Solaris, Digital and *BSD[2]
and can be sensitively dependent on quite surprising things. It does
require a bit of thought and should not be plowed into blindly, and is generally
harder than it needs to be. Perhaps I should give a rant about all this stuff.

Oh, wait....

Ben
[1] I've quite often felt the second word of backward compatible was unnecessary.
[2] Which are the only platforms I've built it on.