On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 05:44:43PM -0000, Jody Belka wrote:

> ok, i'm trying to decide what exactly to put into my 1U rackmount case and
> thought i'd ask for some advice as i just can't make a decision.

Start with a Sparc ATX mobo, or pull a board out of an iMac.

</ob_anti-x86_ranting>

>                                                                  firstly,
> for reference purposes, this box is going to be to running several vmware
> virtual machines, so whatever i end up with needs to be able to cope with
> that.

Oh damn.

> my main problem is trying to decide what processor to use.

The fastest you can afford *after* putting in as much RAM as you can afford,
a decent disk controller, and decent disks.  If you have room in the case,
throw in a PC Weasel too before you consider the processor.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

    There are many different types of sausages.  The best are
    from the north of England.  The wurst are from Germany.
      -- seen in alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove