On the subject of beer and not venues,

* Joel Bernstein ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> > The advantages I'd see are that it's a nice pub, not encumbered by
> > suits, cnuts or Sam Smith's beer. And I don't see it being much harder
> > to get to than the 3 Cups, Calthorpe Arms or even the Sun Tavern.
> >

> Sam Smith's beer is generally crap,

the best you can probably have is the taddy porter, but after about 4
or so they start becoming way too overpowering in taste and not in a
good way (like the plum beer at the PoH)

>  but they do make a very good
> Weissbier. It's a good deal better than Hoegaarden, but of course
> nowhere near as good as even Erdinger.

i'd guess this beer also has the same scalability issues as the taddy
porter ;-)

the other problem with a SS pub is that once you decide you have had
enough of their beer you cant move to more pleasant wine/spirits, as
their `own brand' wines and spirits are pretty ghastly as well

since i've been working at broadcasting house i've been astonished by
how many SS pubs are around that place, there are pubs within 100
yards of each other both owned by SS, go another 100 yards and its
another SS pub, however while out walking the other day i discovered a
green king (is that greene king?) who do great IPA, so i need to scout
that place out for friday lunchtime beer fun

Greg

--
Greg McCarroll                         http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/
                                   jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]